These days, this is what my self care looks like.
The way I see it, even if all I have time for is the simple self care (like taking a shower and washing my hair), and even if it’s with a potty training toddler in the room who insists on drawing my portrait while in the shower. AT LEAST I’m making time for it.
And should I ever wonder when I showered last (don’t tell me you don’t question this each week), I can just reference my DAVID portrait from Stella-angelo. I started to date stamp them for this very reason.
SIMPLE SELF CARE IS STUPID IMPORTANT…
I can’t even begin to tell you. Coming from someone who has tried to pour from an empty cup. It’s not a magic trick you want to attempt, nor will it land you a spot on America’s Got Talent. That’s a promise. It can be done, but it’s far from a spectical.
Every now and again you need a little reminder that the cup you’re drinking from is bone dry. I was sorta’ hoping I might be that person for you today. The one that reminded you to take an extra 5 minutes in the shower to let that warm water rush down your face and take all you stress with it. The one that told you to stop adding 30 more seconds to the microwave and just stand and enjoy that cuppa’ coffee you so rightfully deserve. And the one that told you the laundry can wait. Give yourself 20 minutes and dive into that book that you’ve been wanting to start for the last 3 months. FILL. YOUR. CUP. LADIES.
HERE ARE MY 10 FAVORITE WAYS TO INCLUDE SIMPLE SELF CARE INTO MY DAILY ROUTINE;
- Take a bath or an extra long Shower and don’t hesitate in making it extra with music, bubbles, and a bevvy
- Dance like nobody’s watching; or everyone if that’s what you prefer
- Give yourself a little stretch. Get on the floor and make it deep
- Lather up with your favorite skincare products; my recent obsession has been with the line Uriage
- Take 20 minutes to yourself and read a book
- Give yourself a mani or pedi and paint your nails
- Netflix & Chill; literally allow yourself to binge watch with zero guilt and indulge on all your favorite snacks
- Get in the kitchen and BAKE
- Dream up and plan a Family Vacation; you know where I’m going!
- Sit and nothing else. get comfy on your patio, in bed, find your favorite spot and be grateful.
Simple Self Care doesn’t have to be fussy, it’s called simple for a reason. But it should be scheduled into your to-do daily. Equally as important as making dinner and drinking water. Self Care is meant to nourish your soul.
I FINALLY GOT THIS!
I’m pretty proud to have this simple self care routine “after the shower” down to a science. I hop out, run some leave-in through my locks and wrap it up in an old cotton tee. So much better for curls than a towel (more on that another time).
First, I spray my face with Thermal Water and let that sit and hydrate my skin. Hot water has a tendency to make my face feel dry.
Next I lather up with Uriage’s Xémose Oil Balm. It nourishes my skin for 48 hours. And god knows I don’t get daily showers, so for me this is so very important.
Now that my face is dry, I go over it with a daily moisturizer (Rich Water Cream) to lock in that goodness. Tackling my hair and putting on a 5-min-face is next. That routine, I will save for another day.
I honestly can’t tell you enough how important it is to incorporate simple self care into your daily routine. Your body needs and deserves it. Stop trying to make history, continuing to pour from an empty cup.
Do yourself a favorite today and schedule in some simple self care. You will not regret it. I promise.
DISCLOSURE: Thanks to Uriage Canada for sponsoring this post.
As always, all opinions are our own.